Animation is about Possibilities and the Choices

We are all profoundly connected.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Doug Dooley: QnA numero uno

Clear Staging. If I stopped right there those two words could, on some Zen level, have a profound impact on someone desiring the masterful influence of Doug Dooley. I hope it's me. (do you capitalize 'zen'?) This genuine and humble fellow was most emphatic "It's all about the poses" he said. He also stated that our 'Avars' must "...communicate your idea.". Who are these Avars? Are they like lawyers? =P The subject of acting came up again. Am I serious enough to take an acting class? AM I serious if I don't? Ah shit. That's all I need. Anthea, AM mentee, shared with the group info about a mime class on the West side. (mime's don't get caps...they're French!) What a better way could there be to learn staging and acting. I hate mimes. They mock me. Doug Dooley admired the work of Doug Sweetland, I'll have to check out his work. When talking about Art Directors looking over demo reels, DD felt that it was important to entertain them, but not necessarily with a narrative in the reel. He felt the at the staging of the characters should be engaging enough to hold the AD's attention for the duration of the reel. Drop any 'filler' shots. A+ only. InkTank, mentee from Medford, asked about storyboards as a side door into the company, feeling that one could transfer over to the animation department later on. Super question right after my own heart. Man, I could work the rest of my LIFE in their storyboard department.
It was really great to see all of the mentees from last semester. I'm planning my weekend around meeting some mentees on Saturday somewhere in Venice. Brian Nicolucci, mentee Antioch, will be simulcasting his AM mentee Bay Area BBQ! I traded tickets to the Disney Music Hall from Sat to Friday. (my first time, I'm stoked). I'm going to watch a the Onidance dance troupe that I referred to in a previous post.
I've been doing some sketches for the next assignment, but I really haven't jumped right into the mix. Hmmm,What about now... ?

.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home