Animation is about Possibilities and the Choices

We are all profoundly connected.

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Harsh Mistress

I added a new category for the accumulating animations for the various AM lessons. I would like to add more Stu Poses a little later. 'Posing' is the key to expressive extremes.
I went to a rehersal for a professional dance troupe performing at the Disney Music Hall next month. I was there to draw the dancers and man those guys can't sit still for a minute! It was good practice to help develope a 'photographic eye'. I remember Glenn Vilppu saying, "It's okay to make sketchy motions with your pencil as you search for the form, but you don't have to touch the pencil to the paper". If I was to put down just one line to represent a torso or a limb, I wanted it to carry all of the intention of the movement, with no superfulous scratching on the page. Just the 'right' line. Plus I knew that eventually the dancers would come over to see how I was doing and I didn't want to embarra myself. This was a modern dance piece and it was an intimate peek into another world. I guess it went okay because I was invited to draw at a ballet class where several train. I would be so Honored.
This week I animated the assigned Character Walk. My girlfriend suggested that I do a Hoochie Mama walk for the fun of it. I wanted to do a standard cliche character ie. Brute, Smart Aleck, Hero, Heroine, so a Hoochie Mama was copecetic. I thought I planned it out pretty good but HOLY SCHMOKES...what the hell was that on the screen? All of the paper planning didn't yield the expected result and I ended up with a convulsing, gyrating creature from The Thing! I really had to reel it back to what is at least passable as a, well...first pass. Yikes!

.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home